Tuesday, January 5, 2021

SCOOB! Character Designs

During periods of downtime on SCOOB! I was asked to draw up some character designs to help us visualize some of the ideas we were playing around with. Though nothing I came up with made it in to the final film, I used the time to learn a bit more about photoshop, and thanks to youtube tutorials, even taught myself a little modeling in Blender. 


DASTARDLY

Taking a cue from his famous moustache, we briefly toyed with the idea of making Dastardly a hipster type. Dastardly always had a somewhat Steampunk aesthetic, so I figured I would explore some more modern interpretations of that style. To make the presentation a little more fun I made little paper dolls so that we could swap various combinations around!















 

THE GREAT GAZOO

At some point during the production we played with the idea that the whole adventure was secretly being orchestrated by The Great Gazoo. We never really got much further than discussing the idea, but if you look closely at the base of the Gates of Alexander in the final movie, you might notice a little detail left over from that time!

 



YOUNG MYSTERY GANG

 

When we decided to go with an extended prologue centered around the gang as kids, I was asked to come up with some Velma and Daphne designs to aid the storyartists. Production Designer Michael Kurinsky suggested that while Velma was probably always at home with her identity, it could be fun if Daphne had been a bit of a mess; all retainers, messy hair, and wierd fashion choices- an idea I immediately loved. Funnily enough, no one else loved what I came up with, but I still think she's really great!





 



DAX SHEPARD VERSION

 

When Dax Shepard took over the project, he reimagined it as more of a coming of age young adult comedy. In it, Scooby falls in love with a sweet dog named Talia, but his efforts to impress her are foiled by local bully Topper and his gang. I was asked to come up with the designs for Young Scooby and Shaggy, Talia, and Topper's Gang.



















1 comment:

  1. ive alwayas hated scoob it could have been so much more

    ReplyDelete